Monday, June 18, 2012

Paris Top Ten: #5 - Kitschy Cake Shop

I almost didn’t believe my eyes when we happened upon this strange little storefront on our way to Jardin du Luxembourg.


What was the story with all these tiny toys set willy-nilly in the graffiti-stained window? 


Are those cake dummies I see?


We stepped into the dimly-lit shop to find a deli case full of plainly frosted cakes - some with random (or maybe strategic?) bursts of airbrush color, and others fully emblazoned with edible images, including some raunchy ones, not seen here.


More rows of bizarre little plastic figurines filled up the spare shelf space, presumably to be used as cake toppers.


Further inside, I wandered wide-eyed among more inventory, this time of the wedding cake variety. Disheveled cake stands with staggered tiers, cake ruffles and doily-like things, and gaudy floral toppers were strewn chaotically amid cardboard boxes and bootleg Disney characters.

Stock includes a cake topper for a Chinese Wedding

Wedding cake that looked more at home in a 1980's Disneyland wedding


After days of feasting our eyes on  museum-quality showcases featuring pristine gateaus and other such elegant edibles, I couldn’t quite figure out what to make of all this. I wanted to ask the young shopkeeper about the business and its backstory, but she didn’t look too happy about my gawking.


Despite the disrepair, I was tickled that we chanced upon this shop that seemed like an oddity, yet at the same time, was in line with what I was already feeling somewhat in Paris – like I had stepped back in time.


27, rue du Fauborg du Temple (10e)




<<<#6 Disco-dancing Crêpe Man                                                #4 Coming Soon >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment