Friday, August 5, 2011

Hello!

Welcome to My Sweet Blog.

I'm Gitu Mehra, the best cake decorator to come out of my home kitchen in San Francisco, CA.

Me, not in my home kitchen, but inside a vintage trailer repurposed as a cupcake truck.

Baking and crafting were hands-down my first "real" hobbies as a child growing up in Singapore. Many years later and over 8,000 miles away, a break from my career as a broadcast news producer led me to take a basic Wilton Method class at Michael's. That opened the door to my new obsession with "caking", giving me the opportunity to reconnect with both neglected childhood pastimes.

Well... maybe not so much the baking part. While I still love to bake (stay tuned for a post on my foray into the world of French macarons), for me, the real fun begins when the cake comes out of the oven. So, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm coming clean: most of my cake projects start with a box of Betty Crocker. What do you think about that? (I'm already plotting a post on the debate on box vs. scratch.)

If you're here for cake recipes, I probably can't help (although I'd love for you to share yours.) What you'll find here are pictures, ideas, tips and the stories behind my confectionery endeavors. I am, for the most part, self-taught. You'll find that most of my projects involve trying (and very often failing at) techniques that are new to me, so any advice and insight you may have is welcomed wholeheartedly.

I love reading cake blogs and I hope I can also be a source of inspiration for other at-home decorators. I  hope you'll keep coming back... or better still, subscribe by entering your e-mail address in the box at the top right hand corner of the page.

Thanks for stopping by!

- Gitu

No comments:

Post a Comment