Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tart Art

Several of the new malls that have cropped up since my last visit to Singapore feature entire areas designed around the Japanese food hall concept. Tonight I visited one that had a Japanese tart shop that my mom had been raving about, Fruit Paradise Cafe.


The tarts were so artfully decorated with fresh fruit, they shellac'd a whole bunch and lined a wall with them.
 

But the real oohs and aahs come when the tarts are cut. Look how the perfect layers of sponge cake and bananas have been carefully inlaid in the tart below, creating a precise pattern suspended inside the cream filling.


These pictures really don't do them justice - I was trying to be fast and sneaky with my camera lest they tell me to stop taking photos like they did at the Icing Room.

 I read somewhere that when the chain first set up shop on the Island, they attracted such long lines of food-crazy Singaporeans, orders had to be limited to a maximum of 4 slices per person.

Green Grape Tart

The Japanese really do take their love for cute food very seriously. I'm wrapping up my trip to Singapore with a renewed desire to visit Japan, if for nothing else, the food art.

No comments:

Post a Comment