Saturday, June 2, 2012

Paris Top Ten: #10 - Personalized Pastries

My husband and I just got back from my first trip to Paris. This painting that hangs in the Musee D'Orsay pretty much sums up how I felt by the last day.

Pierre-Auguste Renoir, "Les baigneuses" - 1918
Like Renoir's bathing beauties, my existing muffin top now had its own set of muffin tops. And like these ladies, I was resplendent in my newly-acquired corpulence. I had happily worked very hard on it for 6 days.

Between the croissants every morning (okay, pain au chocolate, who are we trying to fool here) rows and rows (and rows!) of opulent pastries, meringues and multi-colored macarons, foie gras at every turn, and an unexpected abundance of rice pudding (we had it three times) it was no wonder I left the city of lights significantly pudgier than when I arrived. 

I plan to upload a batch of photos on another page, but for now I've compiled my 10 favorite, particularly memorable, unusual, even some downright curious confectionery-related moments from our trip. Here's number 10.

 
Personalized Pastries at Gérard Mulot

Okay, they weren't really personalized, but it just happens that this purveyor of sugary specialties shares my initials, so I was extra enthused about the array of "GM" monogrammed entremets.






76, rue de Seine (Saint Germain)
2, rue Lobineau (Saint Germain)
6, rue du Pas de la Mule (Marais)

                       #9 Macaron "Taste Testing" >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment